It can be a scary thought wondering if the pipes under your house might be leaking, and for those with an older home it’s likely something that has crossed your mind before. The good news is that there are some signs you can watch for to give you a clue what might be happening outside of your home, and help you avoid an unwanted surprise. If you see any of these signs, contact All Star Plumbing and Restoration to get the issue addressed before any major damage occurs to your property.
Signs of a problem:
- A substantial drop in your water pressure or flow volume that lasts more than a few moments.
- Wet areas in your yard or landscaped areas that didn’t previously exist. Any pools of water not related to recent weather events should be investigated.
- A sudden increase in your water bill. If your water bill goes up reflecting an increase in water usage there could be a problem. Consider environmental factors first such as increased watering for gardens or lawns in the summer, but if those don’t fit, then contact All Star Plumbing and Restoration.
- Sinkholes or potholes
- An area on your property that feels soft when you walk on it or is unexplainably green, mossy, or moldy.
- Heaving or cracking of paved areas
- Your floor or structure begins to lean.
- Dead spots in your lawn even though you irrigate. If your water pressure has dropped too low you may have a sprinkler head that is unable to pop up which will result in just one area of the lawn being brown or dead. If this is the case it could indicate a bigger problem with underground piping.
- Strange sounds coming through pressurized pipes. If stones or small rocks have gotten in through broken pipes you may hear clinking sounds when the pipes are in use. If you hear a hissing or whooshing sound this might also indicate a leak in the pipe. This sound is the most commonly heard one. In rare situations you may hear what sounds like splashing or a babbling brook as well.
As with most home repair situations, if left untreated these underground pipes will go from a manageable problem to a major expense so if you see any of the signs above and suspect a problem you should contact a plumber right away. In the majority of cases, All Star Plumbing and Restoration can get the underground pipe taken care of quickly and get your plumbing restored to its normal functions in no time.