Carpet mold is a hard issue to tackle. Often the only solution is removing the carpet, drying out the water damage under it, and starting over with new carpet. Homeowners facing this problem should keep All Star Plumbing and Restoration in mind. As part of their restorations services, they aid in carpet removal and mold remediation. Think there’s mold lurking under the carpet? Here are five signs it might be:
- Musty Smell
If there’s a musty odor when entering a room, see if it’s coming from the carpet. Usually if there’s a general musty smell in the home, the mold is growing under the carpet. Some homeowners might not notice it since they are in the house all the time.
- Increased Allergies
Mold can cause many health problems if it’s allowed to linger in the home. These problems can be allergies, asthma, bronchitis, and more. If family members are having any of these issues at an increased frequency, there may be mold present in the home.
- Damp Carpet
If something spilled on the carpet, or an appliance leaked on the carpet, there’s a chance mold has developed. It can be difficult to dry out carpet properly, which allows mold to grow. Avoid leaving carpet damp for extended periods of time. If a leak happened while the family was away and the carpet was damp upon arrival, call All Star Plumbing and Restoration to check out the water damage.
- Growth on the Carpet
When left to grow for extended periods, mold can start to discolor carpet from underneath. The discolored patches are generally white, black, or various shades of green. This means the mold growth has reached an advanced stage.
- Mold-Testing Kit
For those who want to check for mold before calling in the professionals, they can use a mold-testing kit. This tests the air flow across the carpet. If there are mold spores present, they will land on the testing kit and multiply, revealing their presence.
Homeowners who suspect mold is present under their carpet should contact All Star Plumbing and Restoration. They will remove the carpet and dry out the water damage that cause the mold to grow to prevent it from spreading. Mold should be taken care of as soon as it is spotted to reduce home damage and possible sickness.